Tips for Adding Steps to Your Work Day
Getting To and From Work
- Walk, run, cycle, rollerblade, or skateboard your way to work
- Park at the far end of the parking lot
- If you take the bus, get off a stop or two early and walk the rest of the way.
While at Your Desk
Around the Office
- Take the stairs at work.
- Use a printer that is further from your office or even one floor up.
- Get up and walk messages over to people in your building rather than calling or sending an email.
Take Active Coffee Breaks
- Invite co-workers to walk around the block with you during your coffee break
Active Lunch Hour
- Organize group activities or classes (for example: weights, fitness classes, yoga, tai chi, etc.)
- Offer “Lunch & Learn” sessions. Invite people to present on different health related topics or to demonstrate different activity ideas.
Organize a Walking Club
- Have different routes and distances mapped out around your neighbourhood for employees to access – variety can help keep people motivated.
- Or, during winter months have routes inside your building or at a nearby shopping centre – walking up and down stairs and hallways.
- Check out the Winnipeg in motion web site for more great ideas on how to promote and incorporate physical activity during the workday (www.winnipeginmotion.ca)