Pedometer Purchase Plan
The Walk for Wellness Challenge is based on the use of a pedometer. Prior to running the Challenge we recommend you decide how your participants will access pedometers (see options below). It is also very important that your participants know how to properly wear and use their pedometers (see “What is a Pedometer”). The accuracy and reliability of the pedometers used in your Challenge may impact the experience and success of your Challenge – so we recommend that you ensure your participants are using accurate and reliable pedometers (not all pedometers are created equal) to lead to a more positive experience with the Challenge.
Here are a few options for pedometer distribution that we would recommend
- Workplace purchases pedometers and provides them to the participants free of charge, OR
- Workplace purchases pedometers and the participants then purchase them from the workplace (at cost or a reduced rate), OR
- Participants purchase their own pedometers
There are various places that you can purchase pedometers, here are a few options
- Through a local vendor/sporting goods store (great for individuals).
- Through a promotional materials supplier (having the company’s logo added to each pedometer).
- Manitoba in motion (www.manitobainmotion.ca) sells StepsCount pedometers for $12.00/pedometer (Located in Winnipeg - no S & H).
- Contact StepsCount directly to order larger quantities (www.stepscount.com).
If you are part of an in motion community (e.g., Winnipeg in motion) you are eligible to purchase them at a discounted price. Find out if your community is registered as an in motion community.
Pedometer Loan Program
The pedometer loan program is an initiative supported by Winnipeg in motion. It is meant to provide workplaces with the resources and tools needed to engage in physical activity in the workplace. A pedometer is a small device used to count the number of steps a person takes in any given time. Pedometers are great tools for tracking activity and providing motivation to get moving. The pedometer kits can be taken out from Winnipeg in motion by any group or organization wishing to run a challenge or just try out the pedometers for a period of time.
Contact Winnipeg in motion at 204-940-3648 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
** Note: There have been various issues with pedometers in past challenges. It is common for about 10% of all pedometers to fail. Therefore, be prepared to replace a few pedometers during your challenge. Remember that all pedometers are not created equal, and generally speaking you get what you pay for. Pedometers range from free promotional giveaways to over $100.